This course about thematic learning has been written by teachers and for teachers. Much of the information provided here is the result of our experience. This actions and methods used are what have worked for us in class in our ICAROS and DEMETER projects.
Take this course as a reference to create your own methodology. Try to work in the way that is most productive for you. Not because some actions worked well in Sweden, Spain, France or Croatia there are going to work well in your school or class.
Think that the advices given here is like a recipe, then the chef (you) will have to give it his personal touch.
The DEMETER project is nominally centered on the design, development, testing and operation of a rover that detects landmines.
The DEMETER project makes use of modern technology that captures the imagination of the students, as well as innovative tools/methods spanning over several disciplines, to demonstrate the real world applicability of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) – and other related and seemingly unrelated – school subjects.
The DEMETER project has served to implement and put into practice the thematic learning methodology in the classroom. This project had been a challenge for teachers and students. We had to to learn and develop the project at the same time (just like in the real world).
Introduction to thematic learning
In this section of the course you will learn the basic concepts of thematic learning.
- What is Thematic Learning?
- Holistic methodological thinking / exploring a topic
- An integrative vision. How to choose the topic and integrate it into the curriculum?
- Thematic learning and project-based learning
- Example of thematic learning in electronics: Electrical measuring in electrical circuits.
- Quiz 1 introduction to thematic learning. Basic concepts.
In this section of the course, you will put thematic learning into practice in your class.
A successful learning. Some recipes.
In this section we give you some recipes to to apply thematic learning successfully.
- Law of non-uniformity
- The role of the teacher
- Motivation, fuel of the learning process
- Gamification as the basis of learning
- Responsibility in learning.
- Example of thematic learning in IT: design and 3d printing of a drone landing gear
- Quiz 3 Introduction to thematic learning. Recipes for a successful learning.